Old Navarino fortification (Palaiokastro) is located on the promontory supervising the naturally endowed Navarino-bay at the south-western foot of Peloponnese peninsula, near the contemporary city of Pylos. The cliff where it is built and where ancient relics lie, was fortified by Frankish in the thirteenth century.
The major works undertaken between 1817 and 1830 transformed the citadel of Algiers into a most important place of sovereignty and power, boasting different administrative, economic and religious centres. However, today, the physiognomy of the surroundings of this palace-fortress is marked by the upheaval of the French colonial period between 1830 and 1870.
Skradin is a town on the right bank of the Krka river, about 15 km upstream from Šibenik. Located deep in the hinterland, with good road connections, and a luxury of natural resources nearby, it’s no wonder that urban life flourished here since the Iron Age. But being below surrounding hills, this trading centre could never be successfully defended from a prolonged siege. This is why, throughout medieval times, Skradin was usually regarded as a less important neighbour of flourishing Šibenik.
In the Ottoman regency, the fortifications of Algiers evolve according to the politico-economic growth experienced by the city partly thanks to the development of the maritime piracy and the lusts it entails. Its stranglehold on the sea, arouses many projects of punitive expeditions. The construction of fortifications is then the major concern of its new leaders who between the sixteenth and the seventeenth centuries, fortify the city, its bay and the hinterland.