The bulwark of the Alcazaba is one of the polyorcetic reforms that the Catholic Monarchs introduced on the Alhambra since the conquest of Granada in 1492, in order to adapt the fortress to pyrobalistic artillery, as well as to stablish a new relationship with the city. In essence, it was built in rammed earth, using brick and masonry fabrics in certain points.
This article develops a research on the outside layout of the Tower of Comares in the Alhambra (Granada), studying its transformations. It is focused on the interventions that took place at the most critical moment in its history. Between the last decades of the sixteenth century and the first ones of the seventeenth century, its general state of abandonment, the explosion of a nearby powder mill and the bad restauration practices applied in some cases, brought it to its structural limits, threatening its ruin.