The Castell Vell of Castelló (Castelló’s Old Castle) is an andalusian structure located at the top on a hill, placed on northern region of La Plana, in the land of Castellón. It’s organized on three interconnected platforms, as many andalusians castles: alcazaba, albacara and the village itself. With 1,1 hectares surface, it follows the pattern of “castle associated with a rural habitat” according the Bazzana’s classification.
Between the 1980s and 1990s, the Almoina site in Valencia was excavated by the SIAM (Municipal Service of Archeological Research) and also, in the following decade, the subsoil of the Almudín and the San Luis Beltrán square. In these surveys, remains of the fortifications of the Alcazar were found, as well the royal cemetery and the palatine dwellings that were presumably inside the enclosure. However, the excavation has been partial and not allowed us to understand the functioning of the complex.
This work focuses on the first results from the systematic excavation of the Tossal de la Vila (Serra d’en Galceran, Castelló) archaeological site. This is, a hillfort build during the Emirate of al-Andalus in the intersection between the territories of Tortosa, Valencia and the Iberian System mountain ranges. Our case study is framed within the historiographic discussion on the subject of rocky and castellated settlements in this area set forth thirty years ago by André Bazzana.
Bejaia, is a coastal city of Central-East Algerian which has seen succeeding on its lands several civilizations: Byzantine, Roman, Hammadite, Spanish and Ottoman
It reached its peak from the beginning of the eleventh century, when the Hammadite ruler, An-Nasir made it the capital. The city maintained this important status until the sixteenth century, when it was considered the jewel of the Maghreb.
Because of its spectacular location and its good state of conservation, the image of the castle of Almansa has been widely reproduced in publications of informative and even tourist purpose.
At the beginning of the Spanish Protectorate in Morocco (1912-1956) the medina of Tetouan, with its walls and gates, was perceived as a fundamental part of the traditional city that was to be conserved. It is interesting to consider, in this sense, the concern that since the war of Tetuan (1859) was to obtain an adequate graphic representation of this architecture. Among the Maps of the Spanish Army Geographical Service are the first drawing that were made (scale 1:100) of the gates of the medina.
Seven years after the reconquest in 1118, Alkal’a Nahar (Alcalá de Henares) to Muslims, thanks to the Toledo archbishop, Bernardo de Sedirac, King Alfonso VII donates this population, to the archbishopric of Toledo. During the Muslim domination, a fortress with an important suburb had been built on the nearby hills, known as Alcalá la Vieja which, from that moment, was gradually abandoned, to settle on the plain, next to the old Church of San Justo.
After the capitulation of the nasrid city of Almería (1489), the new Castilian administration was able to verify the state of ruin of its defences due to the earthquake of 1487, ordering the rapid construction of a castle on the highest point of the battered hispano-muslim Alcazaba.
In this paper, we will study the fortress of Taibilla, a defensive complex built by the Order of Santiago in the middle of the thirteenth century in a strategic point of the Sierra de Segura, currently belonging to the municipality of Nerpio (Albacete). Although the complex was built at the top of the hill on whose hillside a relatively important town existed in Andalusian times, the archaeological excavations proved that most of the remains of the fortification currently visible were built after the Christian conquest.
This article presents the results of the archaeological investigation carried out between 2017 and 2018 by Algeciras City Council in al-Bunayya (1282-1375), the only city founded by the Marinid dynasty in al-Andalus, after recent research revealed its true location. Until then, the site of the city had been attributed to another Islamic city in Algeciras: al-Ŷazīra al-jadrā’.