The fortress of San Paolino in Ripafratta (San Giuliano Terme, Tuscany, Italy), represents the main structure of the ancient Pisan Republic defensive system towards Lucca. The fortress is the product of several stratifications dating back to the tenth century. It was built in the years between 1162-1164; later on, starting from 1504, significant interventions of modernization were realized by the Florentine Government, probably following a project by Giuliano da San Gallo.
The coast of the Kingdom of Granada was a border of importance in Nasrid times and it was also a zone to be protected after the Castilian conquest, mostly against piracy. To control the sea, the successive rulers would build a system of fortresses and watchtowers. The objective of this paper is to apply spatial analysis to the defense system of the southern coasts of Granada and Almeria from the fifteenth to seventeenth century, focusing in its evolution.
In this article we deal with the unique coastal defensive belt that the city of Malaga has in Nasrid times, about the origin of it and its process of building as well as its functionalities that exceed the purely defensive ones. The first constructions aimed at defending the city from the sea correspond to the dynasty, with the construction of the alcazaba and the defensive fence of the medina, as well as incipient atarazanas, a cast of works of political propaganda.
This article develops a research on the outside layout of the Tower of Comares in the Alhambra (Granada), studying its transformations. It is focused on the interventions that took place at the most critical moment in its history. Between the last decades of the sixteenth century and the first ones of the seventeenth century, its general state of abandonment, the explosion of a nearby powder mill and the bad restauration practices applied in some cases, brought it to its structural limits, threatening its ruin.
This article talks about the archeological intervention carried out in Concepción de Zafra street n°3 in Granada, close to the Darro river. The house uses the perimeter eastern wall of the nasrid Maristan.
The medieval city walls of Almeria have abundant references in Arabic sources and numerous preserved remains, either in all its elevation, or as small archaeological remains on the current slope and even under the ground. This circumstance has given rise to a lot of scientific literature on the chronology of each of the different existing precincts: Alcazaba, Medina, suburbs and outer enclosure.